Monday, December 12, 2011

Hey, Ho, Let's Go!

Why am I the Metal Philosopher?  Well, mostly because the first 20 or so names I came up with were taken.  It was a desperation choice, but I like it anyway.  Philosophy is the discipline that I have the most passion for.  I live it, I breathe it, I can't get enough of it.  I can't think of a better thing to do with my life than to learn to understand life more while I live it.  The more I can understand myself, other people, how we're the same, and how we'll never be the same, the more fulfilled I feel.  All other concerns of import flow from philosophy.  Before you ask how to do something, you need to understand why you do it.  If you believe something, you need to understand why you believe it.  A heckler once confronted the late comedian Bill Hicks with the following: "Shut up! We don't come to comedy to think!".  Hicks responded "Well where do you go to think?  I'll meet you there!"

Philosophy means many things, but many people claim to have a philosophy for life.  If I did, mine would be Metal.  Not just because I love loud noises, thundering rhythms, insane music, and the darker things in life (though I do).  It's because Metal is about having the balls to live your life the way you want to live it, to enjoy the things you want to enjoy, and to speak the truth without fear.  The loud guitars and songs about Satan simply aid the message.  When I really love something, I will claim that it is Metal, and this is the highest compliment.

The some topics I plan to rant about on this blog are as follows, in no particular order:

  • Philosophy
  • Music
  • Movies
  • Video Games
  • Education
  • Theology (if you must know, I'm a Quaker Buddhist)
  • Ethics
All good things.  And there will be more.  So much more.  Welcome to my interwebs.

No comments:

Post a Comment